Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Art Making: Masks


This mask uses the element of shape and color. It has an abstract shape that draws emphasis on it's eyes and nostrils. I was inspired by this for its shape but primarily its headpiece. I wanted some obscure shape on my mask but not quite this much so I went with a head piece that took form of its own like this one. 


This mask also used the element of color but also unity and rhythm. The patterns and repetition in the lines all make the face more united. The serpent on the nose is good use of variety and it stands out both in shape and color. I really admire the color and particularly the emphasis on eyes. I think eyes are the most important part of a mask even when just deciding if they will be cut our or drawn/painted/carved on. 



This third mask also uses rhythm with its geometrical shapes and patterns. Most noticably however is the symmetry with the mask being intended to look identical on both sides, drawing the viewers attention to the very center of the piece. This has an incredible unique shape. I like that it's not a full face mask and would just change the appearance of the human face if worn but not totally cover it. I tried some stuff like this in my preliminary sketches but went in a different direction.








I used symmetry with my mask because I really appreciated that in the masks I saw and I thought it added to the balance that I wanted to achieve. I used the element of color to bring out the eyes and fire on the head. This added to the three dimensional look and also the purpose of the candle on top. I used rythym on the face with the patterns under the eyes and the pattern that makes up the nose. I wanted to do this because it gave a tribal look to the mask and if it were ‘real’ those dots would be gems or jewels. I chose to leave the mouth black and give it variety because having the mouth appear ‘censored’ added to the overall meaning of my mask.
I enjoyed making the mask, I would have liked to do more but my time crunch has left me somewhat handicapped. I really was aiming for showing some kind of burning passion in the face and the face alone. I wanted to leave the mouth out because I feel like the mouth says too much already. The idea behind my mask was that this person would have to be connecting with their ‘spirit’ so to speak in order to display their rage and burning passion and internal fire. They can’t spit flames because I’ve censored their mouth so it’s left entirely up to their expression of internal feeling to show how they feel. I think I used the elements and principles I mentioned well to get my point across. 

No comments:

Post a Comment