Saturday, March 31, 2012

Art Making/Material Exploration Drawings- Exploring Line


1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?

To be honest, I hate drawing my hand. I have never been naturally talented with drawing but something about the lines, contours, and shadows that comes with drawing my hand really frustrates me. I don't mind it for practice or doodling but I really don't like using my hand as subject matter when it comes to 'publishing' or showing my work. A picture of a hand would have been easier as I couldn't possible keep my hand still and catch it in the exact light each time I moved it a little. 

2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?

I selected pencil. It's easier to sharpen, less messy, and I feel like I have more control with it. 


3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?

I always feel ridiculous drawing with my left hand. I love ceramics in which I actually throw left-handed, but drawing is a whole different story. I feel less in control and the lines seem to make random movements as if the pencil had a mind of it's own. It was also much harder to do any kind of shading or shadowing with my left hand, distorting any form of perspective. 







4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?

I have uploaded a couple different 'goes' at my drawings, in part for comic relief, in part to demonstrate the challenge this was for me. The first drawing I did was my hand suspended in a relaxed position. After starting to draw this I had wished I chose a position for my hand more definite and less complex. Seeing the difference in my left and right hand inspired me to do a 'thumbs-up, thumbs-down' combo, in part to try a new position and in part for comic relief. Lastly was the third picture (really my first and most simple idea but, I thought better of it).

5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?

Not drawing, I don't think. I definitely utilize my left hand for other kinds of art work, even certain forms of painting where I get creative and use my fingers but, as drawing is NOT my strong suit to begin with? I probably shouldn't handicap myself even  by using my non-dominant hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment